Tuesday 19 November 2013

REMEMBERED SONG

“The power of a handwritten letter is greater than ever. It’s personal and deliberate and means more than an e-mail or text ever will. It has a unique scent. It requires deciphering. But, most important, it’s flawed.” - Ashton Kutcher

An old letter is this week’s stimulus for the weekly creative writing challenge organised by Magpie Tales . Here is my contribution:
 
Remembered Song, After the Fact
 
“And then you left me
Like a broken toy in a deserted playground
That no child will claim as its own.
And if I sit and write to you now,
It is all because I’ve loved you so.
Take care that you dress well,
The cold weather is still ahead.
And put your mind at ease,
I have not told anyone about us...
 
And then you abandoned me,
Like a stray kitten none wanted,
Preferring me to die slowly rather than dealing the death blow yourself.
And if I still persist in seeking you out,
It is all because I’ve loved so much.
Look after yourself, mind that you dress well,
The worse of the cold weather is still ahead.
And you know it well,
I tell none about the two of us...
 
And then you turned away from me,
As if I were a mistake
That nobody admits to having made.
And if I still remember you and cry
It is all because I’ve loved you so much.
Tell her to take good care of you,
The cold weather is still to come.
And put your mind at ease,
Nobody will ever find out about us...
 
And now I am alone, forgotten,
Like a lost letter
None wants to claim.
And if I still care about you
It is all because I’ve loved you so.
Mind that you dress well, you are so weak
The coldest weather is still to come.
And you know full well,
I shall not tell anyone about us...”

1 comment:

  1. ... oh my, such sad and powerful words 'As if I were a mistake' ~~ however you transformed the image, it is amazing. Beautiful companion to the letter/poem.

    ReplyDelete